With the season of warm weather upon us, it's the perfect time for a picnic. Residents of Chicago, IL apartments have a host of locations to enjoy a packed picnic — whether lakefront or further afield, there's nothing quite like dining al fresco. And preparing your own picnic provides extra satisfaction, not to mention lets you plan the menu to everyone's specific tastes. Here's a rundown of items that are perfect for being both portable and delicious with additional travel time.
Perfect Picnic Picks
- Hasselback Tomato Caprese: Tomato Caprese is a favorite anytime the weather is warm. The pop and brightness of the tomato combined with the flavors it goes with best, mozzarella and basil, is like eating a slice of delicious pizza, but in salad form. The problem is that it's not the world's most popular dish. This Hasselback version changes all that, turning what easily turns messy into individual servings that are much easier to both pack and eat.
- Corn Tamales with Tomatillo Salsa: Tamales take a bit of extra preparation, but the dividends pay off with a dish that is ultra portable, super friendly for eating on the go, and of course, delicious. Why not make a double batch from what you need, and put half in the freezer for the next picnic?
- Oven-Roasted Pulled Pork with Sweet and Spicy Sauce: Sandwiches are always a popular choice for picnics, but why not skip the assembly, and make a large platter of pulled pork? Then once you're ready to picnic, put that out with some quality bread, fixings of your choice, and then let everyone make their own sandwiches. Less work for you, but still delicious and fun for everyone.
- Orange Ice Tea, spiked or not: Homemade ice tea is one of the best ways to savor warm weather. This recipe is delicious on its own, but also offers a spiked variety in case you'd like your picnic to offer a cocktail component.
- Raspberry Financiers: These showstoppers are the perfect way to use summer berries while providing a sweet end to the meal.
River North Park offers the perfect home base for picnic preparation. There is a clubhouse with a Chef's Kitchen, and many individual apartments offer the same. To find out more about the top-notch amenities we offer, contact us.